What is Plasma Pen?
The Plasma Pen is the world's leading Plasma application device - a noninvasive fibroblasting sublimation treatment, suitable for targeting lines and wrinkles, loose skin, stretch marks, and pigmentation.
What Plasma Pen Does
As we age our dermal layer thins, less collagen is produced & these changes in the scaffolding of our skin cause it to wrinkle & sag and to lose laxity & texture.
The plasma pen encourages skin tightening using a continues direct energy source; we ionize nitrogen & oxygen in the air to create a plasma gas. During the procedure, tiny plasma flash is being discharged from the tip of the Plasma Pen handpiece, Results improve significantly over the coming months.
What are the Plasma Pen advantages?
Plasma Pen delivers a brighter, more contoured youthful appearance with minimal downtime. The results of the treatment are virtually immediate and incredibly long-lasting without the need for fillers or surgical correction.
Plasma Pen Post Treatment Guidelines:
What to expect:
- Mild to moderate swelling, especially around the eyes and periorbital area for approximately 1-5 days
- Stinging sensation which lasts approximately an hour following the procedure
- Tiny crusts form on the area treated, and usually linger for 5-7 days
- It is normal for the treated area to feel tight and dry
What to do:
- Wear an SPF 30 or higher sunscreen
- Do not pick crusts, this could cause scarring
- Avoid shaving the treated area until completely healed
- Avoid heat for 3-4 days (including hot showers, intense exercise, etc.)Skin contour irregularities
- Only use provided products during the immediate post-treatment time period, do not use any retinol products, exfoliators, pigmentation products, or retexturizing products for 4 weeks following treatment.
- Do not apply makeup to the treated area for 5-7 days post-treatment, applying and removing makeup may disrupt any scabs and could lead to scarring
- Do not apply cold or ice packs while swollen, this diminishes the inflammation, but could interfere with the mechanism of action performed by the device and the skin’s natural heat and healing process to achieve the desired result.
- Do not wear contact lenses for 72 hours following treatment to the eye area
- Do not use saunas or sunbeds for 10 -12 weeks posttreatment
PLASMA PEN AFTERCARE & POST TREATMENT GUIDELINES
Please ensure you read and follow the advice provided. If you have any concerns after your treatment, if you do not understand any area of your aftercare or if you have additional questions then please do not hesitate to contact your technician/practice:
Like most skin rejuvenation treatments, there may be some side-effects but the post-treatment downtime and recovery from Plasma Pen - plus the end result - is frequently shown to be far superior to treatment with other devices. However, we are not in control of what you do when you leave, and you must follow these important guidelines carefully if you wish to enjoy optimal results and protect your investment in Plasma Pen treatment.
Although for most clients Plasma Pen treatment is virtually pain-free, your own treatment may be moderately uncomfortable and sensitive depending on where you are being treated - especially eyelid procedures where the skin is at its thinnest - and your own sensitivities and tolerances. Your technician will work closely with you on this including providing and/or recommending the best numbing product(s). Our Plasma Pen device and super-fine probes allow our technicians to work quickly and efficiently which will dramatically minimize any potential discomfort for you.
(1) Before Your Treatment:
- We recommend you avoid sun-tanning, spray-tanning, tanning injections and sunbeds for 4 to 6 weeks before your treatment. Ideally, we recommend using SPF40 to prep your skin for 2 to 4 weeks before your treatment, especially if you are naturally darker skinned. You may even wish to consider a Pre-Treatment product using a Tyrosinase Inhibitor as this can help prevent the enzyme "Tyrosinase" from misfiring or over-oxidizing the Tyrosine and thus helps ensure there is no overproduction of pigment in the skin. Tyrosinase Inhibitors are not just useful for those who suffer from hyperpigmentation but for all clients - even those with healthy, even skin.
- Avoid any other type of procedures for 3-4 weeks on the same area which you intend to have treated with Plasma Pen, such as laser therapy, chemical peels, Botox/fillers, as this may prevent your treatment being performed by your technician at the time you want it.
- Discontinue any use of topical Retin-A products a minimum of 4 days prior to treatment.
- Remove contact lenses and any eyelash extensions prior to treatment.
(2) Immediately Following Your Treatment:
- You may not look your absolute best during the initial healing process (usually 3 to 7 days)
- We recommend NOT exercising straight after a treatment because any heat, steam or sweat could add to the inflammation that's already present. Ideally you want to avoid excessive sweating for 5-7 days during the healing process.
- We recommend the only product you should use after treatment and during the 5-7 day healing process is Factor Five serum 2x per day (morning and evening).
- You may experience a mild tingling or stinging sensation with application of Factor Five serum and this will subside within a very short time. This is to be expected depending on your skin sensitivity and is caused by the healing ingredients intentionally formulated in the Factor Five serum
- Clients may find waiving a book or magazine or using a small hand held fan after application of Factor Five will be comforting in the event they experience any uncomfortable tingling or stinging sensation.
- We recommend you do not wear makeup in the area treated during the 5-7 day healing process because the application and/or removal of makeup could prematurely disrupt the scabs before they are ready to flake off.
- We recommend all clients apply small amounts of our Factor Five Serum 2x per day (morning and evening) to soothe inflamed skin and heal it fast. It also provides relief from possible itching and helps expedite a scar free healing process. Clients must use the Factor Five serum post treatment. The alternative of leaving a scab to continually dry out naturally without the Factor Five can mean that the healing process takes longer and the longer the healing process then the greater the chance of scarring.
- There may be some mild to moderate swelling to the area(s) treated, especially around the eyes and within the periorbital region then moderate to excessive swelling is expected and common.
- Swelling and inflammation for 1 to 5 days post-treatment is normal. If swelling lasts beyond the 5 days, contact your treatment provider.
- We recommend that you do not apply cold packs or ice packs during the swelling period. Icing will diminish the outcome and inhibit the inflammation process that we want to happen naturally. Applying cold or ice packs on the skin could interfere with the mechanism of action performed by the device and the skin's natural heat and healing process to achieve the desired result. Swelling is a minor inconvenience to achieve the desired outcome.
- If possible, we recommend you take a high dose of Vitamin C supplements over the course of the healing process as this will help give your immune system a big boost. In turn this helps you to repair and also helps avoid hyperpigmentation.
- You may experience a "stinging" sensation in the treated area(s) immediately after treatment. This is normal and is simply the heat exiting the skin. It generally only lasts for about an hour or so.
- Facial areas that has been treated must NOT be covered with bandages, occlusive dressing or any type of make-up, mascara, creams or any other product until the area has fully healed (outside of specific products we recommend, and which should be available from your technician). Areas of the body may need to be covered depending on the treatment and the area.
- If you have received facial treatment, we recommend you sleep on your back with your head elevated to minimize swelling. If you have received treatment to your eye area then it is important you sleep slightly elevated for up to 7 days as this can greatly reduce swelling.
- It is highly unlikely you will ever get an infection from a Plasma Pen treatment as the wound we cause is not open. However, the first 12 hours post-treatment is of vital importance in protecting you from any kind of potential infection so please avoid any activities where you could expose yourself to contaminants.
(3) In the Following Days After Your Treatment:
- It is normal for the area that has been treated to feel tight and dry
- Occasional weeping will settle
- Tiny crusts will quickly form on the treated area. These may be visible for up to about a week
- Do NOT pick crusts off as this will delay the healing process and could cause scarring
- The area(s) treated may be cleansed daily with lukewarm water and a soft, lint free cloth. You are only removing excess oil and do not need to thoroughly cleanse the treated skin. Do NOT be tempted to rub or brush the area to aid the removal of the crusts. Pat dry with a clean tissue
- We advise you do NOT stand with your face under a hot shower or direct water from shower head for the first 3 to 4 days. This could increase swelling. Try to avoid shower gels or hair products running on to your face as this could cause irritation. Rinse thoroughly with tepid water if products do come into contact with the area(s) treated and gently pat dry
- Outside of using Factor Five serum please do NOT apply any other lotions or creams unless your practitioner has specifically advised you to do so. Absolutely do NOT use any lotions or creams that contain perfume, alcohol or acids. The area must be kept free of oil to help the crusts form and then fall off of the skin naturally. Do NOT rub or abrade the area(s) or use exfoliating products. This could result in scarring and/or pigmentation
- Shaving in the area treated should be avoided until it is fully healed
- If you have had treatment around your eyes, you should avoid wearing contact lenses for 72 hours after your treatment
- When the crusts have fallen off then your skin may be a little pink as it is fresh, new and rejuvenated baby skin. This pinkness will fade over time in as little as 2 weeks up to a few months. In rare cases it may take up to 6 months.
- Once the crusts have all fallen off you may apply your normal foundation/make-up but avoid using skincare products containing Glycolic or any other active exfoliating ingredients as this will cause irritation
- Continue to use Factor Five serum morning and night. Your Plasma Pen technician can offer you a 30 day supply 1oz bottle.
- You absolutely MUST now begin to apply SPF40 while your skin is in the healing stages (pink in color) and you should continue to do so for at least the next 12 weeks (and ideally longer). The area(s) treated have produced brand new skin and may burn and/or pigment without adequate protection from the sun
- SPF40 should be worn whether you are outside, in and out of your vehicle or driving as well as if you are staying indoors. Even indoor lighting can cause risk of pigmentation on new healing skin.
- You absolutely must NOT use saunas or sunbeds during your 10-12 week healing period and ideally for longer. Avoid the midday sun.
- All other facial treatments on the same area should be avoided whilst your skin is healing
- Use of topical Retin A products should be avoided for 3 weeks (OTC products) to 4 weeks (prescription strength).
(4) Other Important Aftercare Recommendations:
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Taking Vitamin C supplements over the course of your healing process can give your immune system a big boost and help you to repair. Continue the use of Factor Five serum morning and evening.
- Any additional treatments that may be required must only be performed once the skin is completely healed and has returned back to its normal color. This usually takes about 12 weeks.
- Plasma Pen treatment is the gift that keeps giving and, on top of the immediate rejuvenation, lifting and tightening affects you will likely experience, it can actually take 8 to 12 weeks for the full effects of your treatment to be seen. You may not actually require further treatment once the effects of your original treatment are more determinable
- Please note that if you do require a longer period of time between treatments then the delay will not alter the outcome/results