What is Photorejuvenation or Photofacial?
Photorejuvenation is a laser skin treatment that is used to improve sun-damaged and ruddy skin. This is an easy, no down time treatment that you can do to treat existing sun damage as well as prevent future wrinkles.
This BBL system has been studied and found to reduce the perceived age of the skin when done annually or bi-annually. Please review the attached article.
What types of skin conditions can be treated with BBL Photorejuvenation
laser skin treatments?
There are many unwanted skin conditions which can be successfully treated with Photorejuvenation laser skin treatments, such as:
- Brown spots | Sun Damage | Age Spots | Liver Spots
- Hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone
- Skin tightening
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Redness from sun damage
How does the BBL Photorejuvenation laser skin treatments work?
Photorejuvenation works by exposing damaged skin to a form of carefully controlled, intense pulsed-light. This lights stimulates collagen and elastin fibers, which result in the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles, brown spots and freckles. You will see a smoother skin texture, and a more even skin tone to following your skin treatments.
Does BBL Photorejuvenation treatments hurt?
Patients report that the treatment feels like a series of rubber-band snaps all over the treated areas. Although the treatment does not hurt, the feeling can be startling.
What areas can be treated?
The beautiful thing about BBL Photorejuvenation treatments is that almost any body area is fair game for these treatments. Obviously the face is the most popular area, but any other body part can also be treated; including the chest, hands, shoulders, etc.
* Please note that individual results may vary.
How many BBL Photorejuvenation laser skin treatments will I need?
Your skin type, color, and condition will determine how many skin treatments you will need. You will notice a significant amount of clearance after just one treatment, however subsequent treatments may be needed to remove older, deeper sun damage. Best results are achieved between 3-5 treatments once a month and then one treatment every 6-12 months to maintain and prevent wrinkles.
How long are the treatments?
BBL Photorejuvenation treatments are relatively quick, and the size of the area being treated will dictate how long the session will take. (For a basis point, a full-face treatment takes about 15 to 30 minutes.)
What will I look like immediately after?
There is no “down-time” with BBL treatments, and right after treatment you can go back to your every-day life. Immediately after treatment, your face may feel warm and look a little pink, however these things will pass within an hour or two. Treated sun-spots will start to darken right away, and within the course of the following few days they will begin to slough themselves off to reveal clear, pristine skin underneath.
How long will my results last?
The results from BBL Photorejuvenation are permanent, the discolored areas that have been removed are gone forever.
However, these treatments can only treat *existing* sun damage and broken capillaries, and cannot do anything to prevent future sun damage / redness from occurring.
To maintain the skin and to prevent new wrinkles, it is suggest that patients do this treatment every 6-12 months after the initial treatment series.
Skin Tightening with BBL
Pre & Post-Operative BBL Instructions
Instructions Prior to BBL for Pigment
1. ABSOLUTELY avoid any type of sunburn or suntan for 4 weeks prior to laser treatments. Treatment of tanned skin can increases the risk of blistering and/or permanent skin discoloration. PROLONGED SUN EXPOSURE IS TO BE AVOIDED FOR 4 WEEKS BEFORE AND AFTER TREATMENTS.
2. Stop using Retin-A, Renova, Differin, for one week prior to treatment.
3. Please inform us if you have any history of "herpes", "cold sores", or -fever blisters". In such instances, we recommend taking Valtrex starting on the day of the laser treatment. Like sunlight, laser light may cause a cold sore or fever blister leading to more serious complications.
Instructions Following BBL for Pigment
1. Intense burning, redness, warmth, and a sunburned sensation are normal responses following BBL treatments. The discomfort and redness generally last 2-4 hours after the procedure. Cool compresses with a damp, soft cloth for 10-20 minutes at a time may help relieve the temporary discomfort. Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Motrin, or Tylenol can be taken as directed for pain.
2. Brown patches or spots will look darker and more pronounced immediately following BBL treatments. In 2-3 days, these brown areas become even darker and frequently feel scaly like coffee grounds on your skin. Within 1 - 2 weeks, these dark, scaly areas fall off and leave new, healthy skin behind. NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING, DO NOT PICK OR SCRUB THESE BROWN SPOTS—LET THEM COME OFF ON THEIR OWN!
3. Twice daily use of a bland moisturizer such as CeraVe, Neutrogena, Purpose, Aveeno, etc. is recommended during the week post-treatment to keep the skin lubricated.
4. Avoid use of topical skin care products containing retin-A, retinol, glycolic acid, or salicylic acid for 1 week after treatment while you skin is healing.
5. Makeup can be used if there is no blistering. Caution should be used when applying and removing makeup.
6. If the skin is broken or blisters appear, apply an antibiotic ointment and notify our office. The area should be kept lubricated with Vaseline petroleum jelly or Aquaphor to prevent crusting or scabbing of tissue.
7. Some patients will wake up with facial swelling, particularly around the eyes for several days following the treatment. This is normal and usually resolves within 3-5 days.
8. PROLONGED SUN EXPOSURE IS TO BE AVOIDED FOR 1 WEEK AFTER TREATMENT. A total sunblock containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide should be applied daily if you are in the sun. If further treatments are needed, a commitment to stay out of the sun is necessary. Sun exposure may cause certain complications such as severe blistering and permanent skin discoloration.
9. For patients who have a history of frequent cold sores, you should be taking an anti-viral medication such as Valtrex or Famvir for 5 days starting on the day of your treatment.